Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Benefits of Moving






I'd be surprised if everyone didn't already know the cons of moving. They're pretty obvious. But lately I've been reflecting on the benefits of a new location where almost no one knows your name.

A huge benefit is that no one really thinks twice about your actions, or if they do they don't talk about it except in generic terms (that lady). As a result, I don't care if my blinds are open and the kids and I are all doing the hustle. It's easier to go next door and tell the neighbor that it's not cool to put their trash in my trash can after the garbage trucks have come and they need to come take care of it. And, should my running partner not be at the pace I might want to be at that particular moment, it's totally okay to boogie with jazz hands, cha-chas, and air guitars down the street while listening to Journey's "Don't Stop Believing."

On a side note, I think this might work as an effective personal training technique. The person next to the ridiculous exerciser wants to speed up so they don't have energy to act, as my running mate said, "a little much." I also think my GreatDane/Lab mix wishes she could do that to me, as I never go as fast as she wants, and even that image of my dog performing air guitars down the street makes me laugh, thus burning calories. I think I'm on to something... or I need to get out more.

Tomorrow, I will. Katarina is going to camp. Her first time. With friends, over SIX HOURS AWAY! I'm excited for her, and me, as I get to meet up with my friends on the way to pick her up, but during the week that she's gone I might be a little misty eyed until I remember that she's going to have the time of her life.

But back to the pictures above: I love the choice of tennis courts here!


No comments: