Friday, March 12, 2010

HairDos!



Thanks to a fabulous tip from my former preschool boss (sniff, sniff - I miss those guys!) I bought a different 'ouchless comb' and different types of elastic bands made for little girls. Ta-da! Anabelle finally let me do her hair. It's never been a battle I've been willing to fight. Now she wants me to do her hair - three days in a row now.

It's not a chore yet, so far it's been fun. Just wish I was better at it.

In the background you can see some unpacked boxes and mess. It's almost there though. This weekend I think I'll get some final things done and proclaim it 'good enough.' For now, that is...

I will say that living in suburbia is a bit weird. Cool, but weird.
I'm not exaggerating when I say it feels a bit like a movie set. I was thinking it, Mike said it, and then another family moved in across the street and said it.

Sidewalks line both sides of every street. When school lets out you see this stampede of children rushing down the street on heelies, skateboards, bikes, and scooters - all with smiles on their faces, eager to get home - no, not home- eager to get onto the sidewalk and driveway next to their home and play.

It's a place where my children would be the WEIRD ones if they wanted to go inside and play video games or watch t.v. And at night a silent hush falls over the neighborhoods. When Mike and I walked the dog the other night we both observed it seemed as if all signs of life had just vanished. Except, of course, for the Eau de Subdivision.

The Eau de Subdivision is the scent permeating through the streets of suburbia. Can you guess what it is?

Time's up.

It's filled with the floral and musky scents of every fabric softener imaginable. Each house you walk by you can tell if they prefer Bounce or Downy; vanilla lavendar or mountain spring.
If walking by department perfume counters or through candle aisles pleases your senses, then you'd love it. Me and my ultra sensitive sinuses can handle those who love bounce vanilla lavendar but otherwise I hightail it to the amazing bike trails hidden in the corners.

In other news, Anabelle is only in halfday kindergarten which means she has mornings to play and hang out with me. She is actually filming a documentary of what happens to a preschool teacher when the teacher moves away from the school mid-year. And that's my teaser for the night.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

beepbeep said...

Anabelle, You look amazing. Grandma Joan