Friday, March 12, 2010

Fantasies

Okay, the title of my blog post might raise eyebrows, but Waterbrook Multnomah sent me two books in the Fantasy genre. I like fantasy - honestly, I've never understood why a genre is called fantasy because all fiction is fantasy except that, of course, the things in 'fantasy' could never plausibly happen. So I guess I just answered my own question. Aren't you glad you were there while I figured it out?
I'm tired.
Moving on... ( ;
Ever heard of "The Lightening Thief" by Rick Riordan (much better than the Percy Jackson movie, by the way)? It's a fabulous series in the fantasy genre that I loved. Harry Potter. Fun. In other words I thought I'd love fantasy. So Waterbrook Multnomah sent me two. Suh-weet. Except they're so complicated I can't possibly sum up, so I'll post the official summaries before I review.
Here ya go - Oh, and if you want to purchase then click on the links.

Here’s a summary:

Raven’s Ladder:

Following the beacon of Auralia’s colors and the footsteps of a mysterious dream-creature, King Cal-raven has discovered a destination for his weary crowd of refugees. It’s a city only imagined in legendary tales. And it gives him hope to establish New Abascar.
But when Cal-raven is waylaid by fortune hunters, his people become vulnerable to a danger more powerful than the prowling beastmen––House Bel Amica. In this oceanside kingdom of wealth, enchantment, and beauty, deceitful Seers are all too eager to ensnare House Abascar’s wandering throng.
Even worse, the Bel Amicans have discovered Auralia’s colors, and are twisting a language of faith into a lie of corruption and control.
If there is any hope for the people of Abascar, it lies in the courage of Cyndere, daughter of Bel Amica’s queen; the strength of Jordam the beastman; and the fiery gifts of the ale boy, who is devising a rescue for prisoners of the savage Cent Regus beastmen.
As his faith suffers one devastating blow after another, Cal-raven’s journey is a perilous climb from despair to a faint gleam of hope––the vision he sees in Auralia’s colors.

Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue:

Determined, smart and a master of both the sword and the bow, Lady Carliss has proven herself as a veteran Knight of the Prince. Returning from a mission of aid, Carliss is plunged into adventure once again as she searches for the marauders responsible for kidnapping a friends’ family. Along the way she is reunited with Sir Dalton and discovers that the struggle in her heart is far from over. When Dalton falls to the vicious attack of a mysterious, poisonous creature, Carliss finds herself in a race against time. As Dalton clings perilously to life, she must find the antidote in the distant and strange city of Moorue.
While there, Carliss uncovers the master plot of a powerful Shadow Warrior that will soon overtake the entire Kingdom. Her faith in the Prince and her courage as a knight are tested as she faces evil Shadow Warriors and a swamp full of dreadful creatures. The lives of many, including Dalton’s, depend on Carliss. But she cannot save them all, for time is running out. She faces an impossible choice: save Dalton, or let him die so that others may live.


So let's get to it -

The Raven's Ladder was so very complicated, I, well, (embarrassed cough) couldn't finish it.
SO - not to be discouraged - gave it to my daughter who was out of books and desperate to read anything and (embarrassed cough) she couldn't get past the first chapter. My husband who loved Eragon and all it's complicating places and characters hasn't picked it up even though I offered. Let me say this - the writing is fantastic and the imagery beautiful. But there is a full on guide to characters in the back that is more than a page long. Sorry. 1 booklight.

Lady Carliss and the waters of moorue is the 4th installment in the series and I haven't read the other three. Kudos to author Chuck Black in that I didn't feel lost. He made sure we understood what was going on without going into too much detail. Made for teens, my daughter finished this first and said it was 'okay' with a 'whatever' shrug. I was able to get through it but quite frankly I wasn't impressed with the over the top allegory. I felt like myself and my daughter were being talked down to - Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia, but I never felt C.S. Lewis was going out of his way to make sure that I got it. The story itself stood on its own merit (referring to Narnia). Didn't feel the same about this. But it's not a bad read. 2.5 booklights out of 5.

No comments: