Wednesday, March 31, 2010

An Absence So Great

I'll begin by saying that truth is stranger than fiction, but fictionalized truth is even stranger. Jane Kirkpatrick 's work was cited as one of the best in 2009 by Library Journal and judging by the first page I could see why. Her writing draws you in with engaging, thought-provoking observations. Photography in 1910 presented unique challenges and I delighted seeing how the character managed a baby shoot. Add the rarity of a woman starting her own business without the benefit of marriage in that decade, and I curiously read to see what happened.

However, there were two big surprises that left me nonplussed. First, this is the continuation of 'A Flickering Light.' This book is advertised as a stand-alone novel, and it is, yet clearly it would have been better off reading the prequel first. Second, nowhere on the back title did I see that this is actually a fictionalized telling of the author's family tree.

I think maybe if I had known from the beginning, then I would've read the story with a different eye, but assuming that it was truly a fiction story I cringed at the hero being offered and the reactions of the heroine. I felt no resolution with how the story ended, until I read the interview with the author at the very end. That said, it was interesting and educational but not entertaining. Great writing but not a story I would otherwise choose to spend time on unless I was expectin a nice biography and not a fiction story. Yet, I still appreciate that the book was provided to review by Waterbrook/Mulnomah. 2.5 out of 5 booklights.

No comments: