Saturday, January 23, 2010

Dug Down Deep

Joshua Harris is a good storyteller. I've read some of his other books and while it's been years, I have a faint positive association, so when Waterbrook Multnomah provided a copy to review, I was excited. His storytelling is engaging, and it's an easy read. But as far as digging down deep, I think that's all relative. And we, Mike and I, both thought he'd be digging down deep into scriptures and instead we felt he was digging down deep into the beliefs he already held.
If you don't know why you believe what you believe, you might get a lot to think about. If you already know the basic theology and know your scripture, you can still enjoy hearing about his family's experiences. All in all, it's an adequate presentation of the basics of evangelical Christianity with a conversational feel surrounded by good storytelling. I can give it a 2 out of 5 booklights. If you want to form your own opinion, click on the cover art above and you'll be able to read an excerpt.

No comments: