Friday, September 17, 2010

We Haven't Even Been In School A Month?!? And My Night Fright

This will sound completely random, but when Katarina was 10 she used Christmas money to buy a robotic kitty cat.  That's all I'm saying for now....

So, I admit, along with the children, that it seems unbelievable that it hasn't even been a month since school started. I wager it's because getting back into new routines and new schedules is, quite frankly, exhausting.

Anabelle came home today so excited. "Mom! Guess what?!? My teacher says today is a holiday!"

I smiled brightly back.  The kids have been so excited about my new special project that they're eager to share new things with me as well.  Yet, if I wasn't in 'the know' I would've had no idea whatsoever what she was talking about as she exclaimed, "It's CRINKLY BROWN PAPER DAY!"

Mike burst out laughing, and he truly didn't have any idea what she was talking about. "Is that what your teacher said?" he asked.

She smiled and nodded.

"You mean Constitution Day?" I asked.

"Yes!" she beamed.

Mike laughed some more.  I laughed a lot once she looked away.  She mumbled, "We had to watch a video called 'We Kids.'  'We the People' would've been a better title."
I can't help but agree with her.  And all the Constitution Day talk made me really want to watch National Treasure, even though I know that's about the Declaration of Independence, which prompted a surprisingly intellectual discussion from my children.  It made my heart so glad.

Then they got into an argument on who got the most guacamole and I was back to my normal self.

Katarina is loving--no adoring--band again this year.  Her band teacher is so cool that he made it happen for seventh graders to play pep band for football games complete with tailgating.  She came home happily filled with hot dogs and cheese curls and bursting with that victory energy that comes after a great performance.  In addition, she completed her goal in cross country and finished, yet again, with a better ranking. 

Sam started orchestra, and kiwanis kids, and he's still doing cub scouts.  All his choice.
I had, however, never seen a boy scout play the violin before, and found it very picture worthy.


And, after all that, I'm exhausted.  Thankfully, everyone is in their beds; everyone is actually asleep.  I tiptoe, bleary-eyed, down the dark stairs to refill my water, and look towards the kitchen, and almost wet my pants. 


Imagine this scene with creepy lighting, and the cat wasn't there before. Now insert a robotic 'meoooowww..."

My short scream from the sheer shock alerted Mike.  The next morning when our alarm went off at 430 a.m. guess which mischievous husband moved the cat to the foot of the stairs?

No comments: