Saturday, February 13, 2010

Katarina's Birthday

It's official - she's twelve now! As she said after dinner, "I FEEL older. I can actually feel that I am twelve now! Do you know you can actually feel how old you are?"
Sam deadpanned, "Well that'd be easy for really old people."

Pictures and video to come, but as that's been taking me awhile lately here are some highlights -
Katarina, as you most likely already know (she's been texting a lot) got a cellphone.
Everything was fine, until, we sat down to start eating dinner and she buzzed.

It was so weird to see our daughter blush, look under the table and TEXT at dinner!!!
She already looks fifteen, we didn't need her to start acting fifteen. But on her birthday we'll let it slide. Mike and I were both surprised to see that she was already texting in text slang.
"Who taught you that?!"
She shrugged. "No one. I guess it just comes natural."
Mike shook his head. "Digital natives," he muttered.

Otherwise the day was a typical birthday - breakfast in bed, a free smoothie at the local coffee shop, going to Wal-mart for the friend birthday party supplies, lunch at a restaurant, making cupcakes, and eating Mike's homemade-from-scratch clam chowder (YUM!), and putting together a hard puzzle that Katarina insisted she wanted to do while instead she texted and chatted on gmail for the rest of the night. Interesting. Maybe she just wanted to keep us busy?
Too funny.

As I put the kids to bed, I should've known this would happen, but I didn't. From each bedroom: "Mommy, can I have a cellphone for my next birthday?"
"NO!"

Katarina's friend birthday party is tonight, and I've already been told I won't get to blog any juicy details. Bummer.

No comments: