Saturday, September 5, 2009

Speedy Days of Summer - Take Two

You know you've been away from blogging too long when you come back, and there is a new posting editor that makes absolutely no sense and you really didn't want to spend an hour figuring out how to do it their way, and why on earth did the email posting function stop working?!?
I've never had a summer speed by me in such a fashion, although I do admit that I love fall weather with a passion. It suits me. If it could be fall all the time, I'd be a happy camper... well, if I had a fancy roomy travel trailer, that is.

So I guess we're working from most recent backwards, since the blogging-editor won't change it up for me. Above you see our crew in their secret agent approved headgear. They went on Operation S.M.O.R.E -- So Many Outrageous Radical Eggs. I took plastic easter eggs and coated them with reflective tape and hid them in the playground. Thankfully our agents were able to retrieve them and celebrate with, well, a S'more.
It was way fun, and I hope to have an opportunity to do it with a large group of kids... or adults.

Below, are my green beans - yes, I'm proud of green beans - because it was my first try at a garden and almost everything produced. It might not have been the size or quantity that I would've liked, but it was a fabulous learning experience, and I got a good taste of cucumber, corn, beans, carrots, tomatoes, onions, and I'm growing watermelons and pumpkins too!

In fact, I researched how to tell if a watermelon is ripe then promptly went outside and discovered that my watermelon fit all the signs, picked it, and brought it in.

I yelled for the kids to all get ready for mom's juicy watermelon fresh from the garden, took a butcher knife to it, and.... it was whitish inside with big giant fat white flat seeds.

I must have stared at it's insides for a minute until I realized, sheepishly, that I had in fact, picked a pumpkin - a bright green immature pumpkin.

The kids finally took some swimming lessons and loved every minute of it. Anabelle proclaimed all the way there that she was not getting her ears wet, would not do the back float, and would only sit on the steps. See for yourself. She can't wait to go back!



The teacher proclaimed the children waterproof and praised Katarina's long, swift strokes as she learned new laps and showed off her backstroke. Mike and I were fortunate enough to slip off to Seattle for fun. I'm very thankful that after fourteen years, my husband can still catch me completely off guard and have me laughing hysterically.


Anabelle was fortunate to develop a sister-like relationship with a little buddy that came over every Tuesday during the summer. They'll see each other at school recess now. I'm sure they made good memories.
In between the large trips, we did 'normal' things at the house like building The Foaminator 2000. (Must be said in a Doofenshmirtz accent).

We also flew to Florida for a family get-together, to celebrate my mother's birthday, and to allow the children to ask for whatever their hearts desired from grandma and grandpa! They loved every minute of it. See the kitty above? -- the one next to the GIANT lion - our kitty thinks the lion is it's mama. And the box that the giant lion came in also somehow ended up as a toy.
The children also went bungee jumping! Surprisingly, Anabelle loved it the most! And Mike and I? Well we zip-lined 25 feet in the air over a lake. As I was screaming my head off the entire time, you will be spared the photos.




There were many other stories to go with each photo, but I'm just so stinkin' fed up with this blog editor at the moment that I must skip to the end.
School has now started, and Sam, being true to himself, came home on the 3rd day and sat at the kitchen table, looked up at me and said, "they gave us homework... FINALLY!!!"
Then I made him eat his afterschool snack first (I know, I'm a mean mom) and then he dove into his work with a passion.
Katarina came home filled with interesting facts and challenges to change the world.
Anabelle came home with a giant grin and started singing "One, two, buckle my shoe..."
I added, "three, four, shut the door."
She gasped. "HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?!?!"

1 comment:

The Farwells said...

Looks like a great summer to me!! Miss you guys bunches!!