Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sleepless in GrumpyTown

I'm writing today after an exhausting night. There's a hint of thankfulness that I had my babies young as it seems I don't handle sleepless nights well anymore. Anabelle was awake at 4, terrified, most likely because big sister was away at a sleepover.

Does anyone ever grow used to waking up to a child hovering four inches over your face? My heart rate always hits the anaerobic phase! Her cute little mouth leaned near my ear to 'whisper' a.k.a. talk loudly with a hushed tone, "I'm soooo scared. Can I sleep with you? I tried sleeping without a pillow once and I LOVED it so I could just scoot between you and dad and be fine and -"

"Fine, fine," I mumbled. ANYTHING to get the talking, no matter how cute, to stop.

She climbed in and within two minutes was asleep and wrestling me for my pillow. Doh.

Fast forward five minutes and the dog is making a racket. Seems we forgot to give her allergy pills before bed. If I had known that black labs have skin problems that worsen over age, I wonder if I'd been so keen on the breed.

I get the dog taken care of, and hear noises in Sam's room. He's moaning, and when I step in I hear the shower in the adjoining bathroom dripping. It's been dripping all night and since little boys don't close the glass door all the way, has made quite a mess. Clean that up, turn off the shower, check that Sam's breathing okay as he was stung by a bee the night before, and go back to bed. I stand over the bed for a moment before getting in, debating if I can handle carrying Anabelle back to bed and the possible waking up and whining and crying.
I decide I can live with 6 inches of space to sleep and crawl in.

Twenty minutes later Sam calls out. I go in and he's complaining of a stomachache. I give him Gas X, lean in to give him a hug and realize he's burning up. Go hunt down the thermometer which is in the kitchen, which alerts the dog who is suddenly by my side, which alerts the kitten in the basement that someone is awake and means she needs to start meowing 'let me out of the basement so I can play!'
Sure enough Sam has a fever. Poor guy. And half his foot is swollen, which means I need to immediately do my research and make sure this isn't some warning that my son is about to have a lethal reaction to his bee sting. 'Cause I'm a mom, and that's where my mind goes - especially in the wee hours... okay, that's a lie - it always goes there despite the time.

And, I forgot the point of this post cause I'm so freaking tired and my coffee cup is now empty.
Oh yeah, I was gonna post pics. soon. after more coffee.

No comments: