Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Busted!


You know when you're reading a young child a very verbose book and you sort of skip flowery descriptions, pointless dialogue, and boring narratives?  
Okay, maybe I'm the only one who does that. 
Anyway, I was reading this book about Cinderella having a Spring Garden Party to Anabelle, and was skipping a word here, a sentence there, but not taking anything away from the integrity of the story!  I got to the end of this page and actually read the sentence verbatim:
"Cinderella gently placed the baby bird back in its nest." 
I went to turn the page when Anabelle cried out, "No, Mommy!  You didn't read it all."
I cringed.  Had I been busted?  
Before I could admit my omissions, she continued, "Daddy read more words!"  She pointed to the page and explained, "It's supposed to say, 'Cinderella put the baby bird back in its nest then the Mama bird ate the baby bird because once you're out of the nest, you stay out of the nest!"

I couldn't help but gasp in shock . . . then laugh hysterically.    


No comments: